What support is available at UCL?

An introduction to the support and services available at UCL


UCL Student Support Wellbeing offers support, information and guidance on any disability related matters within our University. Support is available to students with a range of disabilities and long term conditions such as autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia, a mental health condition (e.g. depression, anxiety, etc.), a long term health condition (e.g. epilepsy, IBS, diabetes, etc.), a physical or a sensory condition. Support is tailored on an individual basis in order to ensure access to the most effective support for you. Some examples of support other students have found useful are:

  • Exam or Assessment adjustments (e.g. extra time, use of a PC, etc.)
  • Support with reading and research (e.g. extended book loans, assistance to locate or/and collect research material, access to alternative formats, etc.)
  • Access to specialist equipment and assistive software (e.g. text to speech to assist with research and proofreading, mind mapping to assist with planning and organising your work, a recording device to assist with note taking, etc.)
  • Access to handouts and notes in advance of taught sessions
  • Additional support from your tutors (e.g. assistance to catch up on missed work or to check your understanding, as required)
  • 1:1 Support (e.g. Mentoring, etc.)

Students at UCL are also able to access the following support:

The Digital Accessibility Hub

The Digital Accessibility Hub is a dedicated IT workroom that provides improved access for disabled students.The Digital Accessibility Hub has a range of specific hardware and software designed to assist disabled students to study independently, including Dragon, Inspiration, Read & Write Gold, ZoomText and more.  There are a range of adapted workstations and ergonomic accessories to suit most people and additional adaptations are possible depending on the individual need.

Where is it?

The Digital Accessibility Hub is located at ground floor level, in room B10 of the Wilkins building, Gower Street, near the Print Room Café and the Student Shop. The room is wheelchair accessible from the lift at South Junction of the Wilkins Building or from the entrance to the UCL campus on Gordon Street next to the Bloomsbury Theatre.

How can I get access to the Digital Accessibility Hub?

The room is available for use by students registered with UCL Student Disability Services. Opening hours are 9.00 a.m. – 8.00 p.m. Monday – Sunday.

Inductions and further training are available along with on-site support from the Disability IT Support Analysts, Michele Farmer and Reena Babu. Please contact UCL Student Support and Wellbeing on 020 7679 0100 or contact us through askUCL, our online student enquiries system.

Library Resources

Information about the resources and support available in the Library, such as printing on coloured paper, how to find and reserve books, and contact details for the Library Learning Support Officer(s) is available here.

Assistive Software

There is a range of assistive software available at our University, including text to speech and mind mapping software. If you are interested in finding out more about this software and how it can help you with your studies, you can find further details of the software available here.

Short Term Equipment Loans

Student Support and Wellbeing has a range of AV equipment (e.g. recording devices/laptop computers) for students to borrow on a short-term basis free-of-charge, to help with their studies. Please speak to your disability advisor if you need to borrow a piece of equipment.

Student Funding Adviser

The student funding welfare advisers offer support, advice and guidance to students who are struggling with money management or experiencing complex funding issues.

To access this support you should contact them using askUCL and let them know your name, student number and the issue you are facing. Support is available on the telephone, by email or in a confidential one-to-one appointment.

Rights and Advice Service

Rights and Advice are a free, confidential and independent advice and support service. Their trained and experienced team can give you advice about:

  • Academic issues – including extenuating circumstances, plagiarism and complaints
  • Housing – including contract checks and housemate disputes
  • Employment – including unpaid wages and part time employment contracts
  • Many other legal and university matters

You can submit your query though their contact form – please allow 5 working days for a response.


There are wardens and student resident advisers (SRA’s) at most UCL residences if you need any support or advice while you are in accommodation.

You should seek help from an SRA if:

  • someone needs basic first aid
  • you are worried about a fellow resident in your halls
  • you are feeling homesick or having trouble adjusting to a big city like London
  • you are a victim of or witness harassment/bullying of any kind
  • you see strangers in your halls
  • you notice an issue with the amenities outside of office hours – such as a water leak/flood
  • you are worried about loud music being played next door or other loud and disruptive noises, in particular after 11.00pm. Remember we need to sleep and study too!
  • you would like to talk to someone about the transition into halls

You can find out more information about the support offered by the SRA’s and wardens here. 

You can also contact the Disabled Students Network or the Autism Peer Group for support and advice about any issues you are having with your accommodation on account of your autism.

How could this affect me?

Getting used to life as a University student can be a challenge for anyone, it is important to know that there is support, information and resources available if you need them. Talking to us about the support available, any questions or concerns you have, and visiting campus, might help you make a decision whether you want to study with us, and ensure you have the best possible University experience if you do. It is much better to be prepared even if you later decide UCL isn’t for you.

What to do next?

Contact Student Support and Wellbeing to find out more about the support available at UCL

Practical tips

Where possible we would suggest you contact our Student Support and Wellbeing team as soon you have an offer of a place, even if you haven’t decided that you are definitely studying with us. This will give us plenty of time to talk about your support, give you an opportunity to look around our campus and ensure any support is in place for when you start.

To register with Student Support and Wellbeing and talk about how any adjustments you may require please contact us through askUCL or call: 020 7679 0100.